It is often unpleasant when latex gloves change their color. Due to frequent use and poor maintenance conditions, gloves might turn yellowish or dark-ish, making us do away with them. In this article, we will explain the question in your mind about latex gloves and how to maintain your current latex pair.
Why Do Latex Gloves Turn Yellow
For further explanation, latex gloves turn Yellow for the following reason
1. Exposure to various elements
Due to the material used in constructing latex gloves, exposure to various elements can change them from their original color. First, latex gloves are not breathable; hence, our hands sweat when we wear them. The oils and fatty acids depreciate the latex properties and gradually turn the latex into a yellowish look over time.
2. Excessive exposure to UV rays
When latex gloves turn yellow, it is also a sign of over-exposure to oxygen, heat, and ultraviolet rays. Latex properties are prone to damage and change of color when placed under direct sunlight for long. In addition, radiation makes latex gloves lose elasticity, increasing the risk of puncturing.
How Do You Wash and Store Latex Gloves
One of the ways to maintain latex gloves is to wash and store them appropriately. It is a simple task to clean latex gloves. All you need is mild detergent/soap, water, a disinfected bowl, and a pair of protective gloves. Ensure your hands are washed and put on the protective gloves before washing the latex gloves. Washing Process
- Step 1: Prepare a bucket and fill it with fresh water. Then add a little quantity of mild detergent to the water.
- Step 2: Wash your hand thoroughly with mild soap and water. Next, put on the thick pair of clean protective gloves. Rubber gloves are recommended.
- Step 3: Hold on to the gloves and carefully pull each one inside out.
- Step 4: While you still have the thick protective gloves on, gently rub the latex gloves in the prepared soapy water. It would help remove all dirt and debris. Ensure the gloves are completely covered with soapy water. For better results, allow the gloves to soak overnight.
- Step 5: Take off the protective gloves and wash your hands. Then go ahead to clean and disinfect the thick gloves.
- Step 6: Wear the thick protective gloves, remove the latex gloves from the soapy water and rinse properly with clean water.
- Step 7: Air dry the latex gloves store them in a clean and infection-free location
After cleaning your gloves Sterilize your Latex Gloves properly.
Can Bacteria Grow on Latex Gloves
Yes! Latex gloves are not immune to bacteria. Bacteria are one of the hazards we can encounter when putting on gloves constructed with rubber. As users have latex gloves on, they usually feel sweaty and hot. Excessive sweat increases the chance for bacteria to reproduce, especially when our hands are unkept.
So to prevent multiplying bacteria in our latex gloves, we need to maintain proper hygiene. Clean the gloves from time to time, wash your hand thoroughly before and after wearing latex gloves.
How To Store Latex Gloves
Proper glove storage is essential to maintain the maximum protection you get from the latex gloves, and it helps prevent deterioration over time. Gloves deteriorate fast When exposed to dust, extreme temperatures, and UV rays. When latex gloves are correctly stored, they serve for a long time and remain in good condition so users can use them freely. Here are the property ways to store latex gloves:
- Proper storage conditions for latex gloves should be in a dark and cool place with low moisture and cross ventilation. Do not store gloves under an extremely cold atmosphere or a temperature higher than 90°F. The recommended temperature for healthy storage is between 50 and 72F.
- Furthermore, store latex gloves away from moisture and heat sources as they could ruin them. Keep gloves from direct sunlight.
- Above all, it is advisable to follow the maker’s guidelines for proper storage. They’ve stated the gloves’ life span based on their storage. Thus, using these stated procedures is the safest way to prolong the lifespan and quality of your glove.
Can I Use Hand Lotion Under Latex Gloves?
Yes, you can use hand lotion under latex gloves. Many gloves users have common allergies caused by wearing latex gloves. Therefore, thorough washing of hands and use of lotion under latex gloves. However, it is advisable not to use petroleum-based lotion as it can degrade the shelf life of the gloves. A water-based lotion would work best.
How Do Synthetic Gloves Perform Compare To Latex?
Health care workers often prefer latex gloves as they have the best elastic capacity. Surgeons delight in using latex gloves since they provide more precision and the best service during sensitive activities. Latex gloves are super flexible, meaning they fit into your hand firm and comfortably.
The elasticity combined with the strength of latex prevents untimely tears and punctures. It is a waterproof and chemical resistance product that protects the hand against viruses and bacteria. This incredible quality makes latex gloves a perfect choice for care workers.
However, synthetic gloves are better off than latex gloves due to the lesser risk of allergies. Synthetic gloves support a higher degree of protection and resist puncture and tear than latex gloves. Synthetic gloves are best at safeguarding the hands against corrosive materials, skin irritants, acids, and biological hazards.
Find more about [Do nitrile gloves contain latex?]
Latex gloves are natural materials made out of rubber. They offer protection and resistance to a variety of chemicals. Due to their natural features and properties, latex gloves often experience sweat and other liquids that result in yellowish color. Exposure to other elements could reduce the lifespan of latex gloves or change the original color. Thus, follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for proper maintenance and always store the gloves in a cool and dry location.
I am not a good blogger but I started blogging when I was in my college. one day scrolling my social media pages and top of the page one notification was coming like this “ earn money from blogging”.then I clicked that notification. After that, I was confused that which niche is better for me. Finally, I selected the niche and I was comfortable with that glove’s reviewer.